Wednesday, February 24, 2010

mothering with purpose (on purpose) part 1

i'm a very firm believer in intentional parenting. i believe that children are a gift from God and that as a mother i have been given the responsibility of raising adults (because, after all we raise adults not children don't we?). and because i have been blessed (yes, blessed) with this responsibility i'd better darned well do it with purpose and i'd better do all of it on purpose.
this means i have to grow up. i don't get to be selfish anymore. it means i'm ON the hook and i never can get off it. i-just-want-to-get-this-done days are absolute trainwrecks. and days where i-just-don't-want-anyone-to-talk/yell/whinge/look-at-me are equally as carnage inducing. it means that every choice i make from now on is made with the character of my children in mind.

sheeeeesssshhhh!

example:
yesterday
it was my birthday. i wanted to be worshipped and adored and didn't want to do any parenting, cooking, cleaning la de da all day long. just me, me, fabulous me! i thought i could get away with it cos JR was home. figured no one would notice if i logged out (took myself OFF the hook) for the day.
wrong! the kids were vicious and feral. i was entirely wrung out by the end of the day....but i knew exactly why. happens every time.

today
i knew that unless i wanted a repeat of yesterday's carnage i'd better get my head straight and my game on before my feet hit the floor. God's grace is sufficient. a commitment to kindness and gentleness works miracles in our daily home life. seriously, miracles. so miraculous in fact that the kids tidied their room on their own initiative!! i know!!!!! i almost died too~
and then, the one i know i know i know, (but it's just so much hardwork).... consistency. i re-reminded myself of what is unacceptable in this family and jumped all over it the second i caught a sniff of it (as opposed to harping all day then being so mad.....*sigh* yanno).

the moral of the story is: i have kids. they are special precious gifts. i want them to be fantastic adults. therefore i always gotta have my game face on. hard truth (jelly-for-bones exhausting truth!) but it's where i am and i want to do this well. after all....the children, as they say, are our future :)

4 comments:

  1. YOUR the inspiration, Dee, both parenting and spiritual. Thank you for this post xoxox Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw jen...thanks for stopping by xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself. As a mum to three under six I am constantly reminded that a day, hour or even minute off spells disaster, and I struggle sometimes not to feel sorry for myself. But I chose to be a mum and I resolved to do it to the best of my ability. It is such a short space of time before they are all grown up and I want to be able to sit back and enjoy what I have nurtured, not shake my head and wonder what went wrong. It's nice to know others feel the same.

    ReplyDelete

it means so much that you've taken the time to comment~ x