Saturday, August 14, 2010

lunch date

it ain't much to look at,
but it has quite the little shin-dig in your mouth.
(in fact, i took this to a pot luck lunch once and all the older, more-experienced ladies recoiled when i brought it in and set it on the table....but by the end of the meal i had three requests for the recipe! so there! :) )
***
Alison Holst's Brown Rice Salad
Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice (good quality, not Budget brand...tried that)
2 spring onions, (or celery...for green colour!)
4 Tbsp soy sauce (REAL soy sauce, no msg/621 fakies)
1/2 red pepper cut up (not essential, just for colour)
1/2 small onion finely chopped
1/2 cup roasted peanuts (I prefer roasted pine nuts...if I have them.)
1/2 cup each of roasted seeds - sunflower, pumpkin, linseed..etcraisins
Cook rice, add soy sauce and onions, soak 2 hours or overnight.
Add remaining ingredients.
Shake dressing ingredients together in jar and pour over the rice.
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp honey

seriously so yummy. and wholesome. and nutritious.
i've been making it at the start of the week to eat for my lunch every day because I have a terrible habit of churning out food onto plates for the kids and not really eating anything myself (which sounds like a great diet plan, but it isn't because i end up picking at baking all afternoon cos i'm hungry)


let me know if you try it!
x

4 comments:

  1. yum sounds delicious-must give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo keen to try that! Might have to pop out and get some 'real' soy sauce first though - I'm pretty sure ours isn't...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave it a crack and it is GOOD!!!

    I might copy your idea and make a weekly 'lunch batch' to keep in the fridge

    ReplyDelete

it means so much that you've taken the time to comment~ x