Thursday, September 20, 2012

dolls + doilies


if you follow me on instagram (@deeconstruction) you'll have seen this new doll i've been working on. 
i had a lot of doubts along the way, but then my crafting-hero, Katie of Skunkboy Creatures, said she liked them!! 
soooo, after i regained consciousness, i decided to keep tweaking and eventually - three dolls later! - i finally have a new unique, cute design that i have very specific and exciting plans for. (hint: workshop + 2013)
 the 'unique' part was especially intentional for reasons that i've become increasingly irked about...copycats and rip-offs. like, comments under pinterest images of my dolls that say "make this for so-and-so" or knock-offs that dear, loyal fans have alerted me to. i know doll-making isn't very original but this is my bread and butter, my sweat and tears, my designs and my brand.  i don't have the luxury of working full days in a studio, all my dolls are made in stolen 10 minute periods over days, weeks and years. through pregnancies, new babies, countless meals and laundry piles, nappy changes, kissed foreheads, naps and toy clean-ups....sweat and tears, people! 
so, can i ask that you keep an eye out for copycats on behalf of all your favourite handmade crafters out there in the web-iverse? that'd be so swell, thanks :)
x

12 comments:

  1. They look amazing Dee, a-m-a-z-i-n-g. You are such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These girls are beautiful!! I'll be able to spot a copy a mile away ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so so stunning Dee. These are real keepsake dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing and beautiful - dolls for grown up girls!

    You're very very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dee, these dolls are amazing. The use of all those vintage linens and doillies. And love that each one is so unique.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dee,

    These are so lovely. I can just imagine one of their sweet little faces peering back at me from my bookshelf.

    I wanted to say, though, that I'm really glad that you mentioned how you feel about people pinning your designs with "Make this for..." or whatever, because when I saw your little cowgirl and boy dolls the first thing I thought was "well if I can't buy those, maybe I can make them" and pinned them to my crafts board. After the first time you brought up what this felt like to you I took them off my craft board and instead pinned them to my board of things I would like to buy for my kids. I never would have realized how that made you (or other artists) feel, and I am so glad you told us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! - I think more dolls are in order if you want to stop the "pinning" thing :) - supply is not keeping up with demand! :) Obviously some "magic" sewing time wouldn't go a miss either huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you know what I think of these dolls..charming and oh so cute!

    I for one get my knickers in a twist when I see blatant copy-cat rip offs..it's totally uncalled for. I mean, I understand that creative minds draw inspiration from many different sources but outright copying is uncool!
    Take my project for instance...it's something I have dreamt about for years but as it's already out there now I have had to rethink it and tweak my ideas, the whole process has been exciting and I'm actually glad now that my focus has shifted a little :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    Amazing dolls!! I love them :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." ~early 19th century

    ReplyDelete

it means so much that you've taken the time to comment~ x