Firstly, please let me say a huge and sincere thank you to every one of you who took the time to comment on Jada's announcement. It meant so much to her, and it kinda blew me away, too! So, thank you x
1. In the last 10 years have barely stepped out of my kitchen, let alone travelled internationally. Ask me to throw a batch of bread in the breadmaker and I can do it while sleeping...but airports! and customs! and hotel bookings! and transfers!! eeeeek.
2. I have NEVER travelled internationally as the sole responsible adult, and I certainly haven't been the sole responsible adult while travelling with my heart outside of my body.
3. What if we get lost? How do you travel on a bus with luggage?
4. I wonder if we'll get any sleep sharing a bed every night? (because who can afford a twin room? not me.)
5. The prizegiving dinner starts at 7pm. That'll be 10pm to our tired NZ bodies. That's a REALLY late night for a nine year old (and her mama!)
6. Let's talk about the temperatures - Brisbane is already hitting our usual summer highs. This will mean a premature reveal of my just-finishing-up-hibernation winter limbs. It ain't going to be pretty...(but I have been forbidden by JR to make a fuss so as to be a healthy role-model to my daughter. I shall embrace the alabaster...)
7. I am so nervous, must mostly really excited. I really feel like this time to spend with Jada is a gift, and so much more than just about going overseas, or a writing prize. She teeters on the edge of pre-teen, and I really want to be intentional about this time we're having together. Almost like a launching pad... setting us up for the next phase of womanhood. I'm so grateful for this opportunity - I would appreciate your prayers for a real cementing of our mother-daughter relationship. (I'd be so grateful for any insight and wisdom from mamas who have pre-teen/teen daughters...)
8. Don't tell the boys, but we are leaving a hidden stash of treats for them to discover when they get home from dropping us off at the airport. We really wish they could all come too. One day...
9. My dolls have paid for a huge chunk of this - so if you have bought a doll this year, THANK YOU. Muah xx
10. Here's to stepping out of comfort zones and doing what scares us just a little.